Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

T$ Trys Fantasy Basketball

Hey Onion! heads (new name for readers, give it a try, it'll grow on you), after years of protest, we finally convinced T$ to play fantasy sports online. He's in our fantasy basketball league and he wrote about his experience so far. Here is T$'s take on fantasy basketball/sports:

What’s the first thing you think of when you hear fantasy basketball? Nerdy young men checking their computers all day long? Jocks huddled around a plasma watching the NBA on TNT? Blake Griffin leaping astronomically high to slam it home?

After having some reservations, I decided to bite the bullet and partake in my first fantasy sports experience. I was hesitant at first, weary of both time commitments and the notion that I would favor the importance of individual statistics over the aesthetic love of the game and my beloved teams, the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs. I bought into a league formed by few college friends not knowing at all how to ‘play’ fantasy basketball.

My fantasy basketball experience was rocky from the start. I missed the draft due to work commitments and was stuck with a team that HAL 9000 had chosen. Even the NHL all-star game captains had a chance to choose their team!!! I decided to persevere through my robotic squad, conscience of the fact that I had sacrificed the equivalent of $10 (tortoise shelled Vans sunglasses) to matchup against such fantasy heavyweights as ‘Pat Summit's Pussy,’ ‘DICK SMASH’ and ‘Wax On Wax Off.’ Luckily I had managed to snag Monta Ellis of the Warriors and Manu Ginobili of the Spurs. The libertarian of fantasy basketball, I chose to maintain a ‘hands off’ policy in terms of my squad. Bad idea. For those that don’t know about fantasy basketball, the Yahoo Sports edition, each week one team is matched up against another. Statistics from NBA players playing in actual games during the week are compiled and compared to an opponent’s players/team for that given week. 9 statistical categories are tallied, ranging from field goal percentage, turnovers, total points, rebounds, blocks, assists, steals, free throw percentage, three point field goals made and free throw percentage. Balance is key, as wins in the actual fantasy league are determined by each statistical matchup win. One can win 6 categories to 3, losing in the points, rebounds and assists column but winning in every category.

Eventually I was able to spend more time managing my team, trading some players to build a more balanced team. I had to sacrifice Manu for the assists and steals of John Wall and the all-around game of Lamar Odom. Even though I still have players like Andre Iguadala, I’ve also added to my roster exciting players like DeMar DeRozan and Andrew Bogut. I went from last place in my league to 6th place, the final playoff spot after deciding to concentrate some time on my roster and lineup each week.  Fantasy Basketball can be a daily chore, but the hour a week or so of determining who starts in your lineup keeps you aware and interested in the NBA all season long. I have a new appreciation for the League coupled with a hobby that I share with my friends. The trash talk between fantasy league owners is anther bonus that my immature friends and I also enjoy. Basically, fantasy basketball and I have a Carl Weathers – Arnold Schwarzenegger relationship I will definitely play fantasy basketball gain in the future, just don't expect me to commit to fantasy football or fantasy jai alai!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment