Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

NFL Roots

The NFL TOTALLY REDEEMS ITSELF!!!

It’s that time of year again. For the past few years I keep telling myself that I’m not going to watch the NFL and that I fancy college football to THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. Then the BCS goes Kratos on itself , killing the gift of college spirit and unpredictability in what is a heaping pile of yeti manure that is the BCS and its endless series of meaningless/boring bowl games.

The NFL has provided many a story during its ‘bowl’ season, continuing to be the unstoppable behemoth that consistently dominates airwaves, televisions, sports blogs and print media. Why do I keep watching? Why do I listen in my room to WFAN even though I don’t particularly care for the New York Giants or Green Bay Packers? Why did I believe that Tim Bebow, after his Broncos smote the Steelers in an epic overtime duel, be able to both cast out demons and have a chance at defeating Mr. Uggs himself, Tom Brady? Something about the NFL just keeps me coming back for seconds and thirds like I’m Jamarcus Russell at that shady Chinese buffet down the street.

How about the 49ers – Saints contest? Are you kidding me? I was glued to the radio, KNBR 680, screaming along with commentators Ted Robinson and Eric Davis when Vernon ‘The Centaur’ Davis hauled in his epic snag. You know that 49ers Coach Harbaugh sat Alex Smith down before the game and gave him a Coach Riley speech for the ages. The Bayou Boys and the Bay Area Bombers gave us one for the ages: crunching hits, horrible tackling, naked 20+ yard bootlegs, multiple 4th quarter lead changes, crying on the sideline. It felt like a college game! Same could be said for most of the Packers-Giants contest. Granted, there were some yawners for games (Patriots simultaneously thumping the Tebow’s Broncos while simultaneously filming the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie and the Texans-Ravens making tar go up a cold hill in December seem more entertaining), but still, the NFL got it done.

I can’t wait for next weekend’s conference showdowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment